THE MOST COMMON REASONS COUPLES CONTACT US:
- Communication issues
- Not feeling connected (sometimes for years)
- Repeating patterns of conflict and argument
- Parenting challenges
- Addictions: Pornography, internet, alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping
There are many other reasons as well, but these represent the top six.
THE RELATIONSHIP STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT – EXPERIENCED BY ALL
- Honeymoon: All is great. Hormones and serotonin are flying high. Both people are on their best behavior. Duration: The first 6 to 18 months of most relationships.
- Disillusion: Oh my, you discover problems and your mood sinks. Panic may set in. He isn’t quite what you thought. She isn’t always her best self. The other lets you down.
- Option One: Break away quickly or suffer in silence, hoping something will change.
- Options Two: Deepen your relationship by investing in developing Real Intimacy.
- Real Intimacy: Learning to listen, validate, understand and deeply appreciate your partner so that a rich bond develops and both of you contribute to successfully using the strength of the relationship to move through life’s challenges together while deepening your bond. Success and enduring love can evolve from the Real Intimacy path.
- Without Real Intimacy: Discernment, which is a process of reconsidering whether your relationship can survive.
- Sometimes, Divorce: Legal, financial, emotional and physical separation.
This model is just one of dozens that help therapists understand how best to help you, depending upon which stage your relationship is in.
We strongly encourage you to consider how important it is to choose the most experienced and committed therapist you can find to work collaboratively with you in this most vital relationship in your life.
You will want a therapist in your couples sessions who understands the complex nature and nuance of couples therapy, which is very different from individual therapy. Our therapists know what to say to different clients at various times across the process, all based upon our knowledge of optimal timing, the stage the couple is in in their relationship, the stage of the therapy process itself and each person’s personality and personal challenges; it is a true art that comes only with years of practice experience to bring this knowledge together to help each couple.
Our therapists have up to 35 years of experience and average over 16 years. Our training includes doctorates in psychology, human development and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy, professional counseling and social work. We continue to collectively add hundreds of hours of training each year … all to bring to your therapy experience … and to enhance your relationships and your life.
Please contact us to discuss your needs, questions and to explore how we can help you.